Many of my entrepreneurial clients start their coaching journeys with the goal of finding balance, joy and success in all parts of their lives and businesses, but when I ask them about their self-care routines they often tell me that the idea of fitting self-care into their already super busy schedules seems fanciful and unrealistic. There are too many things to worry about, too many tasks to get done, too many emails to read, and too many other people to think about and nurture.
The thing is, self-care doesn’t need to take a ton of time or cost a lot of money. It’s just about finding activities and ideas that work for you and your situation. The important thing is that it makes you feel good and enhances your well-being, be it physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual.
I’ve put together a list of 20 things you can try doing just for yourself. Pick a few to try, and keep experimenting. Everyone’s self-care practice is different. You’ve got to do what works for you.
20 Self-care Ideas…
- Drink lots of water (try infusing it with some fresh fruits)
- Spend 10 minutes downloading all your thoughts and feelings into a journal or braindump page
- Have a power nap
- Spend a few minutes stretching and moving your body
- Lie down on the grass and watch the clouds go by
- Do a guided meditation or a guided visualization exercise
- Make yourself a healthy smoothie or fruit bowl
- Go for a walk somewhere green
- Spend time sitting near water (a pool, river, lake, fountain, ocean)
- Spend a few minutes silently looking at the stars
- Write in a gratitude journal
- Turn off all of your electronic devices at least 1 hour before you go to sleep
- Go for a leisurely swim or just relax in a pool
- Color, draw or paint
- Cuddle your pet (or a friend’s pet)
- Belt out your favorite song at the top of your lungs
- Blow bubbles
- Write down your day’s wins in a victory log
- Buy some fresh flowers for yourself
- Go to the park and play on the swings
Let us know in the comments what your favorite self-care activities are.